A massive tabletop game for Third Culture Kids in the middle grades, Superherolympics draws from research in prosocial behavior, self-protective buffers, and social belonging theory to develop multicultural collaboration skills.
Oh, also, it's, you know, like, fun. Players create their own superhero identity and develop unique narratives about their hero as they work together to accomplish missions across a 200 sq. ft "game board."
Working with Mariana Duprat, we co-designed the gameplay & mechanics, and I oversaw user testing and research.
d.feet clubfoot is a digital training tool now in use around the world to train surgeons and physiotherapists in the Ponseti method - a highly effective, low-cost approach to preventing lifelong disability in children born with clubfoot.
My team of four developed this tool in cooperation with the Global Clubfoot Initiative. I did an on-the-ground need finding trip to India to identify major leverage points for reaching more children and optimized existing materials for improved learning outcomes and digital delivery. I also setup the Open EdX instance and established the system architecture in Amazon Web Services for hosting the online version of the tool. With the team, I developed the operations plan for implementing the solution globally with a special focus on the business model for the initiative.
Extreme: Stanford Medical // Tanzania
Digital training module
Open Learning Initiative
Under Dr. Candace Thille, I worked on the redesign of the Concepts In Statistics course for release on the Open EdX platform.
I contributed to the predictive analytics dashboard by aligning formative assessment items with learning outcomes within the codebase and developing question pools for summative assessments.
- Core Mechanics of Learning: Designed and carried out experimental studies building on previous empirical research in learning; created products around established concepts in learning science.
- Learning in Informal and Formal Environments: Performed field work in participant trajectories in preschool gymnastics classes.
- Child Development and New Technology: Designed and developed concept products combining empirical research in psychological and physical development.
- New Approaches to Medical Education in the New Millennium: Explored new pedagogical approaches to induction and continuing education in medicine.
Pattern matching & recognition app concept
- Design for Extreme Affordability: Created products, services, and distribution mechanisms for addressing poverty alleviation in the developing world.
- Beyond Bits & Atoms - Digital & Analog Fabrication: Designed educational products and tools using laser cutters, 3D printers, Arduinos, and tangible user interfaces.
- Qualitative Research Methods: Ethnographic interviews and field work in vocational learning environments.
- Quantitative Data Analysis: critically evaluated empirical research in its use of statistical concepts and methods.
- Data Visualization Using R: wrote methods for representing data and statistical concepts in the R language.